Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of the forum?
To encourage communication between patients and practices throughout the UK, providing a platform to share and develop ideas.
Who is the forum for?
Patients and PPG group members at GP practices and healthcare centres. The site is also used by Practice Managers and practice NHS staff.
Is the forum free?
Yes it's 100% free for patients.
What is a PPG?
Every Patient Participation Group or PPG is different depending on local needs. They mainly work with the practices to offer a patient’s perspective on the services provided. They also help to improve communication and encourage patient to take more responsibility for their health and to provide practice support.
What can patients do?
- Contribute to the improvement of services
- Improve communication between the practice and patients
- Help patients take more responsibility for their health
- Provide practical support and help
- Each PPG determines its own activities and should be self organising and undertake activities and patient led
The PPG can build a relationship between the practice and patients
What are the benefits?
Good for patients because:
- Patients will be more responsible for their own health
- Patients have a better understanding and knowledge of the practice and its staff
- Patients will benefit from improved communications
- Patients will have a forum to suggest positive ideas and voice concerns
- Patients will be able to get an idea of what is needed to improve healthcare
Good for the practice staff because:
- They will be able to help patients with non medical and social care issues
- They will be able to get help from patients in meeting targets and objectives
- They will have a forum to voice concerns, ideas and suggestions to patients
What can a PPG do?
The list below summarises some of the activities that other PPG’s are involved in:
- Provide feedback from patients eg on appointment systems, repeat prescriptions etc
- Monitoring communication eg developing the practice booklet
- Carrying out surveys into a whole variety of subjects eg measuring patient satisfaction, awareness and expectations
- Offer practical help eg flu clinics
- Improving practice facilities eg maintaining plants
- Help to obtain the patient view
- Offer support to other patients
- Encourage health education activities within the practice
- Assist in the production of a practice newsletter
- Ensuring patient information is user friendly and easily understood
Is the forum secure and private?
Privacy is very important to us and only registered members can view the forum. The forum is not visible to anyone else and cannot be searched by search engines. You own all data and can have any comments removed whenever you like. You can close and delete your account at any time.
Is the forum easy to use?
The forum is very easy to use. We have a fantastic platform that powers some of largest forums in the UK. We have customised the platform greatly to remove any unwanted features which makes it easy to use but powerful to do anything you want. If you are not sure about anything on the forum, please just let us know and we will write you a guide.
How do I add details to my profile?
Simply go to your profile (top right of the forum), here you can very easily upload a picture, add a signature and a bit about yourself.
How to private message a user?
You can use the “Conversation” feature to private message any user. Click on their profile and you will see the 'Start a Conversation' button.
How do I check for new posts?
Simply click the 'New Posts' button (top middle), you will then be shown all new posts and replies since you last logged in.
We are a GP practice and would like to join.
Please click here for more details.